Monday, May 14, 2007

The Dosa Man

Today I spent the afternoon with the infamous Dosa Man at Washington Sqaure Park. He is what I would call a "celebrity vendor", and he deserves every bit of his fame.

After trying to make contact with vendors in several neighborhoods of Lower Manhattan, I was starting to feel rejected like a door-to-door salesperson. I realized that the only vendor who could cheer me up would be Thiru, The Dosa Man, so I made a trip to the Village to ask him some questions while he set up his cart.

Before I knew it, I was fat with vegan treats, taking orders for masala dosas, and making change for his customers (which were lined up halfway down the block for hours - and this, even when his faithful NYU students have packed up for the summer). I got to play vendor for a day!

Thiru has a way about him. He moves with ease between customers waiting in line, waiting at his "drive-thru window", calling in their orders ahead of time, and just popping up behind him to holler out an order or two. He never gets thrown, and has a memory that doesn't fail. He knows his regulars and treats even the greenest of customers like they're old friends. Everyone is grateful, and everyone comes back.

He embodies the entrepeurial American spirit, but his radical politics, guerilla attitude and unwavering diplomacy make him a special kind of businessman. Thiru renewed my faith in NYC, and in this project, after a morning of meeting resistance from protective Wall Street vendors. I can't help but wonder if the power-broker energy of the Financial District influences the vendors who work down there?

Since my project is set to take place in that monied district, I hope I can bring some of Thiru's creativity and generosity to that neighborhood. In the meantime, you'll have to see him for yourself. Go get yourself a dosa!

6 comments:

NewmRadio said...

Yeah Stef, I bet the Wall Street business man attitude has to affect those vendors down there. Cold square slate people. It must've been fun getting slammed with orders and shit. Did you smell like mad halal grub for hours after?

Do you know what the street vendor said to the Buddhist when he asked for his change?

mefranny said...

no newms, what did he say?

Brain Breeze said...

I don't know, Newms. What did he say?1

NewmRadio said...

Change comes from within.

Brain Breeze said...

That's so GOOD! Thanks, Newms. I knew I could count on you.

mefranny said...

that's awesome!